If you’re getting the keys to a new home, you’ll need homeowners insurance to protect you and your property against unexpected damages, accidents, and theft. Having the right coverage could save you hundreds of thousands of dollars after a covered loss – money you might otherwise have to pay out of your own pocket. At Main Street Insurance, we can help you build a home insurance policy that is custom-tailored to minimize your risk exposure and meet your needs for many years to come.

Damaging Events

There are different types of hazards and perils covered by most standard home insurance policies. Your coverage may only protect you against the events named in your policy, or it may cover damages from nearly any event so long as it is not excluded by name in your policy. Examples of frequently covered events include:

  • Theft and vandalism
  • Fire, smoke, and explosions
  • Wind
  • Hail
  • Fallen objects

It may also be possible to add a coverage endorsement or purchase a separate policy for certain perils not covered by standard homeowners insurance. Talk to your Main Street Insurance independent agent if you wish to add protection for sewer backup or earthquake damages, or if you are interested in purchasing flood insurance.

Types of Home Insurance Coverage

Wisconsin home insurance policies typically house several different types of coverage. Together, they provide you with the comprehensive protection you need to safeguard your family and finances after a loss. Your policy may include coverage for:

Your Home Structure and Other Structures

The structure of your home is protected under the first section of your homeowners insurance policy. This is the part that outlines the compensation you would receive from the insurer for the repair or rebuilding of your home after a partial or total loss. In addition to your home’s structure, homeowners insurance also covers the other structures on your policy, such as your fence and detached garage.

Personal Belongings

In addition to protecting your investment in your home, homeowners insurance can also protect your investment in the other things you own, such as your furniture, apparel, kitchenware, electronics and more. By default, many insurers provide personal belongings coverage worth 50 percent of the structural coverage limit. However, your circumstances may require additional protection beyond the standard coverage. We recommend taking inventory of your home to assess the actual value of your belongings and how much coverage you really need. Certain high-value items, such as fine jewelry or an expensive art collection, for example, may be subject to ‘special coverage’ caps. At Main Street Insurance, we can help you schedule additional coverage for these items to assure they are fully protected against damage, loss, or theft.


Some policies only cover personal belongings for their actual cash value. This is the amount your items are worth after depreciation – not the price you paid for them new. With ACV coverage, your insurance settlement may cover only a portion of your costs to replace your belongings with new ones. That is why we recommend upgrading your coverage to include full replacement value protection for your personal belongings.


Liability coverage pays for your court costs, legal fees, and the money you owe for judgments or settlements if you are sued for a third-party injury or property damage. This includes non-collision incidents that occur in your home, on your property, or while you or a member of your household is away from home.

Medical Payments

Unlike liability coverage, which pays for the damages you are legally responsible for, medical payments coverage provides limited coverage for medical bills when someone is injured at your home, regardless of fault. You can choose your medical payments coverage amount, which is usually enough to pay for a health insurance deductible or cover the cost of an emergency room visit. The coverage does not release you from any liability you may actually have in relation to the incident, but it could be enough to help prevent a lawsuit.

Temporary Displacement

If your home is too badly damaged for your family to live in it safely, you may need to find a temporary place to live. That could mean staying in a hotel, eating your meals at restaurants, and doing your laundry at the Laundromat instead of in your home. Homeowners insurance can help cover the extra cost of living somewhere else until your home is repaired or rebuilt.

Why Use an Independent Insurance Agent?

When you need homeowners insurance, turn to the team at Main Street Insurance for solutions that fit your needs. Our common sense approach to home insurance makes it easy for you to narrow down your coverage options and make a decision that is right for you.

When you shop independent, you can explore policies from multiple Wisconsin insurers in one place. Then, we can apply any discounts you may qualify for to lower the cost of your coverage. Examples include:

  • Claims-free discounts
  • Multiple policy discounts
  • Home security system discounts
  • New roof discounts
  • And more

When you choose our office, you are teaming up with an independent agency that exists to serve our customers and our community – not the insurance companies. We want to provide a better all around insurance shopping experience, as well as world-class customer service for years to come.

To find out how we can help you save on the home insurance coverage you need, contact our office today. We look forward to serving you soon.